Current:Home > ContactTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Panama’s Supreme Court declares 20-year contract for Canadian copper mine unconstitutional -Capitatum
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Panama’s Supreme Court declares 20-year contract for Canadian copper mine unconstitutional
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 00:45:37
PANAMA CITY (AP) — Panama’s Supreme Court on TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank CenterTuesday declared unconstitutional a 20-year concession for a Canadian copper mine that had sparked weeks of protests by environmentalists and others who argued it would damage a forested coastal area and threaten water supplies.
The announcement by the nine-justice court, after four days of deliberations, set off cheers among demonstrators waiting outside and waving Panamanian flags.
“This is what we had been waiting for,” demonstrator Raisa Banfield said after what she called an agonizing wait. “The president has to suspend (mine) operations today.”
There was no immediate comment from Minera Panama, the local subsidiary of Canada’s First Quantum Minerals.
The dispute over the open-pit mine led to some of Panama’s most widespread protests in recent years, including a blockade of the mine’s power plant. Protesters also blocked parts of the Pan American highway, including a stretch near the border with Costa Rica. Just before the ruling was announced, they opened the roadway so that freight trucks could get through.
Minera Panama said in a statement earlier this month that small boats had blocked its port in Colon province, preventing supplies from reaching the mine. Naval police reported that a ship carrying coal decided to turn back due to “hostility from a group of protesters who from their boats threw rocks and blunt homemade objects” before being dispersed.
The protesters, a broad coalition of Panamanians, feared the mine’s impact on nature and especially on the water supply.
The mine employs thousands and accounts for 3% of Panama’s gross domestic product.
In March, Panama’s legislature reached an agreement with First Quantum allowing Minera Panama to continue operating the huge copper mine in central Panama for at least 20 more years. The mine was temporarily closed last year when talks between the government and First Quantum broke down over payments the government wanted.
The contract, given final approval Oct. 20, allowed the subsidiary to continue operating the mine in a biodiverse jungle on the Atlantic coast west of the capital for the next 20 years, with the possibility of extending for a further 20 years if the mine remains productive.
Since protests began, the government nearly passed legislation that would have revoked the contract, but it backtracked in a debate in the National Assembly on Nov. 2.
Protesters’ last hope was for Panama’s courts to declare the contract unconstitutional.
___
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (26191)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Wife of Mexico kidnapping survivor says he's just glad to be alive
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Star Crystal Kung Minkoff Shares Must-Haves for People on the Go
- World War II airman from Texas identified 80 years after being killed in action
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- 'Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny' is a whip-crackin' good time
- Ted Lasso Season 3 Trailer Proves a Battle Is Brewing On and Off the Soccer Field
- U.S. Rep. Robert Garcia to launch a popular arts caucus at Comic-Con
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Jane Birkin, British actress, singer and French icon, dies at 76
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Cate Blanchett Revives 2014 Armani Privé Dress With Daring Twist for 2023 SAG Awards
- Ashley Park Reveals What It’s Like Working With Selena Gomez on Only Murders in the Building
- Christina Applegate Sends FU Message to MS During 2023 SAG Awards Appearance With Her Daughter
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Remembering Alan Arkin, an Oscar- and Tony-winning actor/filmmaker
- Woman traveling with 4 kidnapped Americans in Mexico alerted police when they didn't meet up with her in Texas
- Kelsea Ballerini Is Putting Her Heart First During Healing Journey After Morgan Evans Divorce
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Cate Blanchett Revives 2014 Armani Privé Dress With Daring Twist for 2023 SAG Awards
Below Deck's Captain Lee Rosbach Finally Returns After Leaving Season 10 for Health Issues
Summer House's Paige DeSorbo and Hannah Berner Love This $5 Mascara With 220,800+ 5-Star Reviews
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Christina Applegate Sends FU Message to MS During 2023 SAG Awards Appearance With Her Daughter
Paris Hilton's New Family Photo With Kathy Hilton and Baby Phoenix Perfectly Showcases a Mother's Love
What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend reading, viewing and listening